amazon web services
About the opportunity
This role falls in our Platform team, a team of 4 extremely sharp engineers responsible for our backend data processing pipeline, user facing products, and overall system architecture. They’re the glue that works closely with our Machine Learning and Hardware teams to tie everything into a cohesive product experience for our users.
Some challenges you’ll tackle
- Own features through their lifecycle: backend, frontend, data stores – the whole shebang (#!)
- Collaborate with Machine Learning and Hardware teams on multifaceted projects touching the entire system
- Design systems at scale – We process over 20M images daily in real time
- Learn our system. If a technology is out there, we probably touch it
- Working directly with Product to scope features into iterative efforts
- Assess new technologies as needed for a task and make decisions balancing technical need and business impact
- Love writing code and have extensive experience doing so.
- Motivated by taking an unknown problem, sinking your teeth in, and coming up with a plan of attack.
- Have a strong desire to grow their role as well as have a direct influence on the growth of a young company.
- Be interested in all aspects of the business, from direction to office space.
- Be excited about working on a fast-paced, constantly evolving product.
- Be able to crack a joke every now and then, even if you're the only one who laughs.
If you noticed, the above list says very little about specific coding skills. We believe the right person for this role is much more than a great engineer. But to get into the nitty gritty, currently our stack looks like:
- Typescript (Node) web services with a bit of Scala and Go in there as well as needed
- Postgres DB, but occasionally Redis or DynamoDB (use the right tool for the job)
- Kubernetes, Docker
- AWS (SQS, S3, etc)