ruby on rails
amazon web services
Software engineers at FreeAgent have experience of developing well-tested web applications. In this role you will design and build new features, pay down technical debt, and ensure we have a healthy system architecture built for the future. You'll be mentored by our more experienced engineers to help you increase your domain knowledge and learn the skills required to progress in your career.
You get to use exciting modern technologies at FreeAgent.
It doesn't matter if you don't have direct experience – we have a trusted onboarding programme that will bring you up to speed. We heavily rely on the following:
- Ruby and Ruby on Rails for most of our application code
- RSpec for writing tests
- AWS for all of our infrastructure
- Docker for containerisation
- Lambda for running serverless services
- Terraform for writing infrastructure as code
You can see the full list on StackShare.
Your typical week will include:
- Designing and developing new features, and shipping them to production via our best-in-class continuous delivery platform (we deploy dozens of times a day!)
- Working collaboratively with engineers, product managers and product designers in order to plan sprints, as well as help to estimate upcoming projects
- Reviewing pull requests and helping colleagues troubleshoot their code
- Using your experience to solve real-world problems, from performance optimisations to helping to resolve production incidents
- Authoring and responding to 'request for discussion' documents which we use to collaboratively make high-impact technical decisions across engineering teams
We don't publish a strict requirements list because we understand that everyone is different, and diversity brings new ideas, new ways of thinking and a richer culture. There are certainly attributes which we really value, such as:
- Strong attention to detail. If a job is worth doing, we believe it's worth doing right
- Learning mindset. If you are committed to self-improvement, we can provide opportunities galore
- Strong communication skills. We believe being able to write and articulate your thoughts are great skills to have in any business
- A keen interest in programming with Ruby and Ruby on Rails (we can help you learn and get up to speed!)
The annual salary for this role is £34,000 - £50,000. We provide a comprehensive package of employee benefits, such as 33 days holiday (increasing year on year!), private health care, life assurance, 5% matched pension contributions, and buy-as-you-earn share schemes. Find out more on our website.