RStudio is seeking a candidate for a Software Engineer (Infrastructure) to join the RStudio Cloud team. RStudio Cloud is a software as a service product designed to help professionals, teachers, trainers, students and hobbyists to more easily do, share, teach, and learn data science using RStudio’s best in class IDE, with the convenience of cloud computing.
About the job
RStudio Cloud is powered by a wide range of exciting technologies. Some of the things we use every day to build amazing products include Python 3 (asyncio / tornado), Docker, Kubernetes, Ceph, Apache Kafka, Traefik, Envoy, Postgres, InfluxDB and others. If you have experience with or a passion on any of these, then this might be the right place for you.
In this position, you will be a member of a team working on the core infrastructure services that power RStudio Cloud. Everyday the RStudio Cloud runs thousands of containers across multiple Kubernetes clusters and stores petabytes of data in the high scale distributed storage system, Ceph. We are looking for candidates who share a passion for tackling complexity and building platforms that can scale multiple orders of magnitude. You will be responsible for the scalability and performance of our infrastructure as the platform continues to grow, including:
- designing, building, testing, and maintaining core backend services for the RStudio Cloud platform,
- instrumenting, analyzing, and mitigating performance issues and scalability constraints,
- participating in product planning, requirements gathering, and capacity planning discussions,
- monitoring and troubleshooting production environments, including participation in an on-call rotation,
- continuously testing and deploying software using cloud-native technologies,
- giving and receiving feedback from other engineers in the form of code reviews and design sessions,
- supporting our users via support tickets and through our community forums.
You are customer-focused and are driven by our mission to facilitate science and education for everyone. You share our commitment to building great software, and you have an appreciation for elegant design, clean code, and delightful user experiences. You love to learn and to help others succeed. You are humble, pragmatic, deliberate, and you have a keen sense of empathy for your co-workers and customers. You also have:
- 5+ years of programming experience in a professional environment using a high-level, object-oriented language (Python, Go, Java, Node.js, C#, or similar)
- a demonstrated understanding of scalable systems architecture and design,
- a deep knowledge of designing, building and operating microservice based systems architectures,
- a familiarity with building software using cloud-native technologies on Amazon Web Services,
- strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively in a remote setting,
- a love of well-written documentation,
- and a passion for leaving things better than you found them.
We are a fun-loving and diverse group who share a passion for building high-quality software and delivering a great user experience. Our team members live in various locations across the United States (and occasionally elsewhere!) and work together via Slack, holding regularly scheduled and ad-hoc video calls, and communicating our ideas through documents, images, and code (and code reviews).
- We welcome all talented engineers and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving engineers “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: 50% of engineering we do at RStudio is open source. We are profitable and we plan to be around twenty years from now.
- 100% distributed team with minimal travel
- Competitive compensation with great benefits including:
- Medical/Dental/Vision insurance (100% of premiums covered)
- 401k Matching
- A home office allowance or reimbursement for a coworking space
- A profit-sharing system
- Flexible environment with a generous vacation policy
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.