Little Passports, part of the BEGiN family, has a new opportunity for a Staff Software Engineer to join our growing team! This role will report into our San Francisco office in a hybrid capacity or can be remote based in select US locations*.
BEGiN is an award-winning educational technology company with world-wide impact. With products that are as effective as they are fun, BEGiN’s family of brands builds critical skills for school and life.
We’re a diverse team of talented people passionate about creating educational content kids love. At BEGiN, we have the rare opportunity to make a dent in the universe by bringing high-quality at-home learning to kids globally!
About Little Passports
Little Passports is a high-growth direct-to-consumer children’s brand developing original stories and activities focused on geography, culture, science and art. We are a mission-driven company inspired to help children discover the wonders of the world around them. Our award-winning subscriptions have delivered millions of one-of-a-kind activity kits to children around the globe.
We offer a high-performance and flexible work environment. While our team is multi-regional, our main offices are located in downtown San Francisco, within walking distance of BART, Muni and Caltrain.
About This Role
We’re looking for an experienced software engineer to lead development within our propriety subscription-related java microservices and their integration with broader ecommerce platforms. This is a high-impact role for someone who loves understanding the big-picture business needs and figuring out the best solutions to meet them. You will work on a small and nimble engineering team, built on mutual respect, collaboration and a desire to help each other succeed.
- Design and implement the right software solution to solve challenging business problems on the platform team
- Design generalized solutions across problem domains using a common set of architectural assets to maintain consistency
- Collaborate with stakeholders to help set and document technical standards
- Formulate application architecture and design with a focus on reusability, total cost of ownership, time-to-market and high availability
- Identify and drive analysis of complex technical issues to reduce technical debt and improve code quality
- We love people who are excited to roll-up their sleeves and get involved where needed!
- Minimum 5+ years relevant industry experience. Subscriptions and eCommerce preferred
- Expert development skills in Java, Spring framework and Hibernate, PHP a plus
- Experience building composable microservices using Spring Cloud Data Flow
- Experience with data modeling and database design
- Experience with test driven development and unit testing frameworks
- Experience collaborating with design, cross-functional stakeholders and product teams to make the complex simple for users
- Ability to influence and lead software engineers at the project level, mentoring the team and fostering a culture of continuous improvement
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills
- Familiar with agile software development process, with iterative DevOps model for continuous integration and deployment
- Experience working with public cloud platforms such as GCP or AWS and good knowledge of Kubernetes
- Experience working in start-up or fast-paced, high-growth environments
- Excellent team player
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (majors in CS or EE preferred)
*Remote Locations: AL, CA, CT, FL, GA, ID, MA, MD, MI, MO, NC, NE, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WA, WY.
This role is not eligible for CO state.
BEGiN is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
At BEGiN, we are committed to building a diverse team of talented people who are passionate about creating educational content kids love. We believe in fostering a culture where productivity can flourish, one that is empathetic, respectful, and inclusive. At BEGiN, we know that diversity, equity, and inclusion aren’t just an idea, a one-time initiative, or phrases to throw into a job post: they’re a daily practice and an ongoing conversation. We survey our team about inclusivity, run training on DEI topics, and have a committee to ensure we are all continuing to learn and grow.