Today, Ricardo is the largest online marketplace in Switzerland with over 1.5 million listed items and more than 2 million users. We aim to improve our platform, innovate, grow the marketplace even further. If you enjoy challenges at scale, high energy work, and are creative in the solutions you bring, we are excited to hear from you!
Tech Lead (f/m) 80-100%, remote friendly position
Ricardo engineering is the largest part of EPD - a unified Engineering, Product and Design department. We work cross-functionally, with around 6-8 teams active on different topics at once. We share a hack day-style way of working, with weekly public stand-ups and demos, strong self-organization, and individual responsibility. With over 40 engineers, and three offices (Zug - Switzerland, Belgrade - Serbia, Valbonne - France), we work closely with our colleagues across borders. Together, we partake in workshops, hack days, and organise special events/projects for innovation, learning, and experiments. Our culture is geek, our working style is agile, and our mindset is collaborative.
Ricardo has a number of cross-functional teams working at the same time, delivering user value every week. In each team is a tech lead - their role is an essential part of driving a team success. They must be sharp with technology and crafting solutions, working together with the PM and the team to plan what the team will make, how they will build it, and to ensure quality and maintainability.
Tech leads at Ricardo are senior engineers who can foster good solutions and team dynamics at the same time. A high-performance team needs a good leader who both propose solutions, coach others, and delegate ownership. They work closely with the PM and designers, and have a strong voice in the shape of the product.
As the typical team has 6-8 engineers, you are a coach and a mentor, but have no direct reports. Tech leads have support from engineering leads, who line manage the engineers and help support the team’s goals. They also can employ help from specialist engineers in search, database, or apps, architecture and design. This flexibility helps tech leads focus on outcomes and good solutions, and they quickly become central figures within a team.
Ricardo has a highly automated environment and we use modern tools to get things done. You will find a mature SRE team, deployment pipelines, sophisticated DI and tracking, automated testing, a design system, and more. This is state-of-the-art software development, and a place where you can grow as an engineering leader. Our feedback loops are fast, and your connection with users is strong. Teams are driven by metrics, reviews, A/B tests, user surveys and a relentless focus on delivering value.
Role & Responsibilities
- Leading one or several teams of engineers to consistently deliver according to their roadmap
- Designing and reviewing technical solutions, as well as driving architecture definitions
- Ensuring compliance to internal standards and practices
- Developing solutions (design, code, tests, documentation) along with the team
- Mentoring and coaching of engineers
- Presenting the progress and goals of your team (or teams)
- Collaborating with product managers to set the direction and goals for your team (or teams)
- Contributing to the technical roadmap through architecture meetings, design documents
- 5+ years of relevant engineering work experience
- Hands on experience with Node.js, REST APIs, databases and building modern web experiences using technologies such as React, Vue, Angular
- Excellent troubleshooting and web performance analysis skills
- You shipped several projects with dependencies between teams
- You have excellent coding abilities and experience with architectural patterns.
- You have a proven track record of building/leading a high-performing engineering team
- You worked well in a highly collaborative environment
- You’re into user experience, design topics and love crafting beautiful websites
It’s not expected that a single candidate has expertise in all these areas. We’re looking for professional engineers, who can quickly learn and adapt as our systems and situation changes, rather than candidates with a rigid skill set.
- Strong engineering culture, empowerment and trust
- Working on a very popular product (90% recognition) in Switzerland
- Training and conference budget available for every Engineer
- Central office close to Zug main station with great public transportation access (25 minutes from Zurich, 20 minutes from Luzern)
- Video games, table soccer, sports offering over lunch
- Free coffee, fruits