Source Coders Inc
Location: Fully remote anywhere in the United Kingdom or Ireland or hybrid onsite in London
Title: Technical Lead (Distributed Systems)
Total Comp: £100k-£150k (dependent on level of experience)
Package includes: Cisco RSU's + 12-15% annual performance bonus + sign on bonus
Our networking hardware is extremely popular, with nearly 10 million devices deployed globally. With this popularity comes interesting engineering challenges. Our globally-distributed backend systems handle tens of billions of requests every day. We're looking for engineers to join us in growing and evolving our existing services and our organization for the next level of scale and reliability.
At Meraki, we focus on building real products that delight our customers. We believe in fostering a positive culture by hiring, coaching, and empowering smart, helpful, humble people and providing opportunities for all employees to thrive. With the support of management, we constantly look within for ways to improve organizationally. We maintain a positive relationship with Cisco that gives us the stability and resources of a large company without sacrificing the atmosphere of a smaller one.
About the Role:
We are looking for a Technical Lead (typically, 8 or more years of experience) to join the Network Access team, which is responsible for distributed systems that support advanced authentication and network policy enforcement. You’ll help build features and solve scalability and reliability challenges in these core parts of Meraki’s cloud offerings. Our main focus is scaling backend services that enable advanced network authentication and access policy enforcement on all Meraki devices. You’ll be joining a team of 5 experienced engineers with a diverse set of backgrounds spread across Berkeley, Boston and London.
What you'll do:
- Design, develop, scale, and maintain the backend services and infrastructure that form gateways to internet access for millions of devices around the globe.
- Design systems and services that enforce access policies for users and devices on distributed networks.
- Evangelize best practices to re-envision our services and refactor our monolith as we move towards independent, containerized services.
- Collaborate with other globally-distributed teams of UX specialists, firmware engineers, SREs, and product managers.
- Help unite and motivate our kind, inclusive team that’s enthusiastic about scaling distributed systems to simplify networking for our customers.
- Work on projects that span numerous domains — networking, databases, web app development, systems — to help our platform scale to handle enormous amounts of data.
- Make an immediate and significant difference to the hundreds of millions of users who rely on our access points, switches, security appliances, cameras and sensors every single day.
- You like thinking about whole systems — from trade-offs in design to edge cases and failure scenarios.
- Extensive experience in analyzing, monitoring, and troubleshooting distributed systems.
- You thrive when you’re given freedom and autonomy.
- Deep experience in some form of backend software development at scale: distributed systems, databases, platform engineering, data processing or similar.
- Have a focused, organized approach to design, implementation, testing, and quality.
- You leverage your ability to influence, facilitate, and work collaboratively across teams to drive ideas from conception to production release.
- Know your way around at least one of the languages we use: Scala, Ruby, Java, C/C++, Go. You embrace the idea of being language-agnostic.
- Experience with SQL and any RDBMS.
- Excellent communication skills (our team is distributed across several time zones).
- You’d like to take on open-ended problems across our true full stack products (from hardware to firmware to UI).
- Ability to attend meetings in the evening to facilitate communication with teams in California (not often).
Bonus points for:
- Interest in general security and/or data privacy and/or zero-trust networks is a plus.
- You’re excited about solving scalability challenges both on the organisational and technology levels.
- Personal projects or contributions to open-source.
- Mentorship or leadership experience.