When you join Turnitin, you'll be welcomed into a company that is a recognized innovator in the global education space. For more than 20 years, Turnitin has partnered with educational institutions to promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all subject areas and assessment types. Over 16,000 academic institutions, publishers, and corporations use our services: Gradescope by Turnitin, iThenticate, Turnitin Feedback Studio, Turnitin Originality, Turnitin Similarity, ExamSoft, and ProctorExam.
Turnitin has offices in Australia, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Our diverse community of colleagues are all unified by a shared desire to make a difference in education. Come join us, and let's make change together.
As a Senior User Experience Designer at Turnitin, you will lead and own the product design process by collaborating closely with other designers, product managers, researchers, data and machine learning scientists, engineers, subject matter experts, writers, and marketers to shape and ship exceptional user experiences - serving millions of students and professionals in the global online licensure and certification space. Our ideal candidate has a track record of leading design projects through the full design cycle to successful outcomes for both users and the business, as well as rich experience in at least one of the following areas: data analysis and insights and information architecture.
40% - Research and Discovery
- Plan and execute a variety of user research and data collection methods to define, shape, and validate workflows, features, and user-facing communications to solve real problems.
- Understand Turnitin's user and business needs and how to prioritize design work based on insights gained from qualitative and quantitative research.
- Create simple-to-complex prototypes that cover numerous interactions and scenarios.
- Create low-fidelity designs to efficiently communicate ideas; e.g. workflow maps, low-fi sketches, and wireframes.
- Synthesize and communicate insights in succinct concepts and metaphors. Inspire and persuade stakeholders and the wider organization through well-executed visioning.
- Collaborate closely with other parts of the organization to balance design ideas with technical possibilities.
- Deliver full lifecycle of designs that support the implementation and release process, e.g. high-fidelity visual design specs, motion prototypes, accessibility or edge case documentation
- Conduct usability research and other forms of data collection to drive iteration and ensure best-in-class usability.
- Regularly accept and manage feedback and constructive criticism from many internal and external stakeholders to iterate toward the best possible solution.
- Define accessible, inclusive, and highly-usable interactions without sacrificing aesthetics.
- Efficiently document and communicate designs in formats that are easy to understand and effective in driving the project's next steps.
- Provide visual QA for implemented designs to ensure designs are built to spec.
- Uphold and push for design quality-with a deep appreciation for details.
- Contribute to the evolution of Turnitin's design system and interaction pattern library by adding to and regularly improving our core stylistic guidelines, components, and interaction models.
- Inspire and help cross-functional team members build and operate with strong user empathy.
- Drive and facilitate ideation and collaboration among cross-functional team members to elicit ideas and cultivate shared understanding.
- Own projects from beginning to end-from research throughto implementation.
- Support Turnitin's commitment to world class design by providing regular, constructive critique to other designers in design reviews.
Qualities that we are looking for:
- You design with an understanding of business needs and strategy.
- You can conduct stakeholder meetings and follow the full UX design process with emphasis on leading the UX design direction.
- You care tremendously about hearing from users and using their feedback to help guide your work.
- You are passionate about the balance between strong usability and world-class visual design.
- You understand and enjoy the experimental and iterative nature of product design teams.
- You enjoy digging into the details to define the best possible outcome.
- You can adjust to changing focus, priorities, and tasks.
- You can work independently and meet deadlines.
- You have strong communication and presentation skills, written and verbal.
- You are an empathetic teammate and cross-functional partner.
- You have a bias toward action.
- Must provide a relevant design portfolio for consideration, showing how you design for user needs and iterate on those ideas based on user feedback, engineering constraints, and stakeholder desires. Your portfolio should include case studies that describe your process and the outcomes of your work.
- 5+ years of experience as a UX designer, product designer, or related role.
- Fluency in design tools such as Figma and the Adobe Creative Suite
- Great eye for design, with a strong understanding of both UX/UI design disciplines
- Experience with the product development life cycle, conducting user interviews, prototyping, and designing for multiple audiences and devices
- Strong facilitation and communication skills
- Experience designing for online security, exams, or education
- Experience designing on machine learning, data, or growth teams
- Experience designing for certification or licensure
- Experience designing for mobile or devices
- Strong background in web accessibility
- Skills in data visualization
- Experience mentoring more junior level designers.
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and meaningfully improve learning outcomes.
Our Values underpin everything we do.
- Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity and improve learning outcomes by putting educators and learners at the center of everything we do.
- Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables them to do so.
- Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of Turnitin. It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we work with our customers and vendors.
- Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower teammates to make decisions.
- One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate effectively, and celebrate each other's successes.
- Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact on education.
At Turnitin, we recognize it's unrealistic for candidates to fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of the requirements because we know that skills evolve over time. If you're willing to learn and evolve alongside us, join our team!
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and the LGBTQ+ community, regardless of age, gender, religion, marital or veterans status.