Headquarters: Syracuse, New York, United States
Adjacent is a nimble design studio born in Syracuse, NY. Our small yet determined team finds our focus creating websites, design systems, web apps, and brand identities. Since 2012, we've partnered with everyone from small startups to global brands in pursuit of impactful, tailored experiences.
Honestly, we love this gig and what it provides for us and our families. Working at Adjacent means you'll have the daily opportunity to make visible and meaningful contributions. You'll help shape who we are and the projects we work on. We love every excuse to celebrate — often with donuts — and we champion having flexible schedules that accommodate all of life's priorities.
Adjacent provides an intentionally inclusive, safe environment for our teammates, and we highly encourage BIPOC candidates to apply.
We're looking for a trustworthy back-end developer who is meticulous in their work: their builds are reliable, efficient, and performant. This person recognizes the importance of organized and well-documented code. Above all, they have a determined spirit and a willingness to seek out the best solution. If that sounds like you, we'd love to talk.
You will work closely with not only the internal team at Adjacent but also with specialists and clients teams we collaborate with to plan and create solutions that serve our clients. From robust design-system-driven content platforms, to e-commerce experiences, web apps, and more, you will architect, build, and support platforms of all shapes and sizes. Currently, Adjacent only supports WordPress as a CMS; however, certain projects may warrant utilizing other solutions where appropriate, providing opportunities for growth into other technologies.
- 5+ years building back-end software
- Strong knowledge and familiarity with PHP and best practices
- Experience customizing WordPress via custom themes, hooks, or writing plugins
- Experience with MySQL (or other SQL) databases
- Experience consuming and/or creating APIs
- At least some experience with git or other version control systems
- Strong understanding of semantic HTML markup
Other Responsibilities and Bonus Qualifications
- Experience utilizing Advanced Custom Fields (ACF) WordPress Plugin
- Experience with WooCommerce
- Experience managing or configuring LAMP (Linux, Apache, Mysql, PHP) servers
- Experience managing virtual machines or resources on AWS or another cloud service provider
- Advanced knowledge of git
- Experience working with Design Systems
- Experience with WPEngine or other managed hosting services
- Knowledge or experience with Ansible configuration management
- Local, remote or hybrid work options
- Competitive Salary
- Paid time off and standard company holidays
- Parental Leave
- Health & Dental Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Flexible Schedule
- Small team atmosphere with big clients and exciting projects
- Conference & learning stipend
- Equipment & home office stipend